Tuesday, September 1, 2015

On animation and uniqueness



As an animation professional and teacher I've been focussed on questions like the nature of movement and "soulfull" animation... I do this working with abstract animation most of the time as a way of going beyond caricature and cartoon.


abstract animation short co-directed along with Bernardo Sarmento, Miguel Pires de Matos  and Sílvia Namorado

How can I create something unique?
How can I add value to my animations?

These questions have different answers for different creators/different minds.
For me, uniqueness is guaranteed if I get in touch with myself and find a bridge between my own emotions, the movement which characterizes them and my own original* expression.

It is not about trying. It is not about doing different from what others do. It is certainly not about trying to do different from what others do.
It is about getting to know how to make my work resemble my self.

This is the focus of this blog and what I see as my unique contribution to animation.



* original - term referring to what comes from the origin; the origin being "me" (the animator/director/artist in question), it is a matter of respecting myself in order to be original

No comments:

Post a Comment